Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pictures!

Hola todos,

Today is going to be a picture dump. We have been touring for the past few days, and it’s been kind of tiring to tell the truth. We won’t have a free day (where nothing is scheduled) until next Saturday when we go to the beach. Until then, all our days are full.
I have a lot of pictures, so I’ll try to load as many as I can in the 20 minutes I have before breakfast, and then maybe load some later on this evening if I can. They are always using the computer here, and I like to have some privacy, so it’s about 6:40am right now. Ok:



This is a picture taken in my host house, of the room they have just for drying clothes. Like I said before, no one has a dryer here. There’s just a room with no ceiling, with a few lines strung around.



Another thing: the bars. This picture is my wooden front door, which is open, and the iron grate, which is closed so you can see it. That webbing is thick metal, and you have to unlock it to get in and out. Many people have said that this is because, when the Spaniards came to Latin America, they had bars on all their windows and doors as decoration, and the Costa Ricans misinterpreted it. However, a few students that John from my group is friends with got robbed at gun point last night, so it’s really up for debate whether they are used just for decoration, or also to keep people out.



This is a picture of San Jose, part of the proper city area. All the buildings are not the typical skyscrapers here, because they have probably 2500 small earthquakes per day- San Jose is in a valley, surrounded by Volcanoes. Most of these earthquakes are so small, you can’t feel them, but if there’s a skyscraper, or even a shingled roof on your house (they use metal sheets here instead of shingles), the ceiling will crack eventually and you’ll be out of a house. I live on the outskirts of the city, in San Pedro, where there are about 7 or 8 different Universities, which would explain all the bars. Lol.



This is a very small part of the main market in San Jose. It is a huge building with a ton of different vendors, restaurants, butchers, fruit and flower stands- everything is in here, and it’s packed tight. The guy in the picture is Johnny, one of our group, and the chick behind him that you can barely see with the red hair is Danielle, our coordinator. They were just in my way at the time. Lol.

On one of the tours, we went to the Volcan Poas. It is a huge active volcano about an hour away from the city. When we went though, it was very misty, so all you could smell was the sulfur, and all you could see was this:



Interspersed with brief intervals of this:



Lol. Well, that’s all the time I have for this morning- later, I’ll put up everything else and give you some more school reports, as Katy calls them. Sorry girl, I want this to be kind of informative, and we can’t all be as witty as you. Lol. Today, we are touring a manmade rainforest that is also a habitat for rescued wildlife. Then, we are going on a walking tour of the city to learn about more history. Fun fun. I’ll talk to you guys later!
-Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment